Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cake donuts

I think the donut is far superior to any other breakfast treat.

Muffin?

eh...I prefer my cake with frosting.

Scone??

a little blah for me.

Bagel???

Oh...actually I love bagels......


Still! The donut! Fritters, maple bars, glazed.....

I love them all. However, I do realize that they are fried and not exactly a protein-packed breakfast. Can you make a donut healthier? Sure...I don't always think it's necessary, but these donuts....

Photobucket

these little treats are baked. Baked=better.

I baked up these little donuts for an appreciation breakfast we had for the fantastic nurses who work in our office.

BFF Kory let me borrow her cute little donut pan.

Photobucket

Such an easy little treat! Mix your ingredients, fill the pan, bake, then add your coating!

Photobucket

Photobucket

See those little flecks in the donut? You got it! Vanilla bean paste!


Baked cake donuts
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp melted butter
*I added 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste, I think vanilla makes a good addition*

Preheat oven to 425. Grease donut pan
In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add egg, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla if using.
I used a pastry bag to fill my donut pan. Fill about 1/2 full. Bake for 5 minutes. Donuts will spring back when touched.
This batch made 24 mini donuts.

You can add glaze or sugar...really anything you like!
I used two large Ziploc bags. One had powdered sugar and the other cinnamon and sugar. I sprayed the donuts with cooking spray, then tossed it in the bag for a quick shake to coat. For the chocolate I just melted some chocolate chips in the microwave and dipped the donuts in. Sprinkles are optional....but why wouldn't you?

Photobucket


Photobucket


I really liked these little donuts. They were surprisingly easy and tasty.

I won't be giving up on my favorite fried treats, but these were a nice little substitute!

What's your favorite donut? Favorite donut shop??
-->