Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Panzanella



A salad with bread?  Bread with salad??  


For me, you know it's bread with a little salad.....


Panzanella, a perfect summer salad, consisting of fresh veggies and that tasty bread, will make you feel a lot better about eating 1/2 a baguette..just me?


This panzanella reminds me of the heirloom tomato salad that I made earlier in the summer.  I used those mini heirloom in this salad once again..they're just so cute and tasty. 


Add some bell peppers, cucumber, red onion and basil....and you are in business.
Perfectly tasty, light, and on your table in minutes.


You'll want to use some day old bread so that when it's combined with the veggies it doesn't turn to mush.  Even though my bread was a day old, I still felt it was a little soft, so I threw it in the oven to toast it a little.


Panzanella salad


1 pound mini heirloom tomatoes
1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into cubes
1 yellow pepper, seeded and cut into cubes
1/2 red onion, sliced
15-20 basil leaves, chopped
1 French baguette.
*if you need to toast your bread, preheat oven to 300, cut bread into one inch cubes, place on a baking sheet and toast for about 10 minutes.


Vinaigrette dressing
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp champagne vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper


Whisk all ingredients together.


Combine veggies and bread in a large bowl and toss with vinaigrette.




You know the perfect side for this salad?? A nice loaf of crusty bread.
Dig in!
-->