Friday, August 26, 2011

Chocolate salted caramel cupcakes





Another co-worker birthday, another cupcake recipe! 
I was happy with this delicious combo! A nice chocolate cake, with a caramel buttercream, caramel drizzle, and a little sprinkling of sea salt.  Something for all you salty and sweet lovers out there!
In case you were wondering, this is my favorite flavor at my favorite local cupcake shop, Trohpy Cupcakes...next to vanilla vanilla that is.  
In no way am I comparing my cupcakes to that of Trophy! But not to toot my own horn...these were delish! 
I love salt.
I love sweets.
If I had to choose....sweets always win!  


However, this is America. And I am a grown-up. 
And I can do what I want!  
What I want is a perfect little combo of salty and sweet... It's this cupcake.
I think this cupcake is sort of like me.....nice and  sweet, with a little salt sprinkled on top! It's all about balance people.


For the chocolate cake, I used my favorite, Hershey's recipe.  You really can't go wrong with this.
For the frosting, I cheated and used pre-made caramel. It was delicious salted caramel sauce from Trader Joe's.  Yes, I know making your own is "so easy" but frankly, so is pouring it out of a jar..just sayin.  If you want to make your own, do it! Send me some!
I added a 1/2 cup of the caramel sauce to my favorite vanilla buttercream.  Throw in a little pinch of sea salt for good measure.  You can add more or less caramel to taste.


After frosting your cooled cupcakes, drizzle more caramel on top and another little sprinkling of sea salt.  If you decide to give someone, say, your Darling Husband, a sample to try...don't forget that extra caramel drizzle....he really likes that caramel.


I'm still totally on the cupcake bandwagon.  I hope you are too.  If not, these little cakes might just put you right back in first class.

-->