Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie #3: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip


I hope you guys have enjoyed the yummy cookies so far!  There really isn't a bad choice! Today we are lucky enough to have my BFF Nikki return as a guest blogger.  This time she is sharing her take on the classic chocolate chip cookie.  Her version has the addition of oatmeal.  I also like how it uses bittersweet and milk chocolate.  But the best part?? That addition of the extra salt.  Yum! Great cookie Nikki!

Hello again! Alex and I love many things-celebrity gossip, shoes, yoga, and Justin Timberlake (although, her a little more than I on the JT thing) to name only a few, but one thing we most definitely love in common is a good chocolate chip cookie. It seems as though we are always in search of the perfect choco-chip.
Over the summer we had a few friends over for dinner and my friend Allen brought over these amazing Oatmeal Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies, they were big (another plus!), chewy and had just the right amount of saltiness. I instantly fell in love and had to have the recipe.
Allen let me know that he was using the recipe from the Grand Central Bakery (have yet to go there in person, but will probably call up Alex for a dessert date soon!) but that he had accidentally modified it into a “salted” version and is now making his mistake into a purposeful change.
The new version of Grand Centrals Oatmeal (Salted) Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe:
2 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 heaping tsp granulated sea salt-Allen’s accidental change
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 ¾ cups rolled oats
1 cup bittersweet chocolate (I like Ghirardelli the best)
1 cup milk chocolate chips or chunks (the BIG Ghirardelli ones are the best-in my opinion)

Preheat oven to 350, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt)
Cream butter and sugar on medium speed for 3-5 minutes
Combine the eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl, reduce mixer speed to low and slowly incorporate the eggs and vanilla, scrape down sides as needed
Add the dry ingredients in 2-3 additions, place oats and chocolate chips in the same bowl as the dry ingredients were in, mix and add to the mixer on low speed, scrape down sides of mixer again
Grand Central uses the Big Cookie Method for shaping the cookies. These gave the cookies the large shape that I fell in love with.
Scoop dough into 1 ½ oz. balls (size of a ping pong ball) and press them into ½ in. disks prior to baking. I used the bottom of a glass to press them into disks. Make sure you space them properly so that the cookies don’t bake into each other.
Add a little addition of salt to the tops of cookies prior to baking if you desire. Bake for 10 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Cookies should be golden brown and appear slightly underdone in the center.

I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as I did when I first tasted them. They always seem to be a big hit around our house. If they pass the Alex-Nikki taste test, then you probably have a winner.
Thanks again to Alex for letting me share another “yum and love” on her blog! xoxo

Thanks Nikki! I'm pouring myself a glass of milk right now...I need these cookies!  
What do you guys think? Is this your favorite so far??
-->