Monday, August 6, 2012

Recipe Swap: Blueberry Lemonade Spritzer

This past weekend in Seattle was hot.  When you live in Seattle you get used to the 70 degree temps, so when 90 hits, it's not pretty.  Typically when these hot days come around, I lounge around, complain "it's hot" 105 times and deal with it.  However, this summer is different.....
I have this extra little person to worry about.  (she looks happy here, but trust me, it was a rare moment)  Babies aren't really happy to just sit around and commiserate with you about the heat.  They would prefer you hold them, sweat, and listen to them scream.  And listen we did.  
So when it came time for this month's Burwell General Store Recipe Swap, I knew it would not involve my oven.  I am happy we are back after a little hiatus with the swap, but an extra hot kitchen would just not work.  This was a fun recipe though:
I really never bake with any type of citrus. I like it, but it's rare for me. However, since I was on a baking strike, I had to think of something else.  A refreshing beverage would have to do.
This spritzer came together in no time!   A perfect summer beverage with fresh fruits. The lemons add a tart flavor to balance the sweetness of the berries. Will definitely quench your thirst on a hot day!   
Blueberry Lemonade Spritzer
Serves 2 
1/4 cup blueberries
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, about 1 lemon
sparkling water, or champagne for adults
Muddle blueberries with brown sugar.  You can easily do this with the tip of a wooden spoon in a mug or heavy glass, no need for fancy equipment.
Divide  muddled blueberries evenly among two champagne flutes.  Do the same with the lemon juice.  Top off with sparkling water, or champagne.  Garnish with lemon rind.

Cheers!
Please do look over the recipes from my fellow swappers!  They are such a talented bunch.


-->