Thursday, January 17, 2013

Peanut butter cookies with Reese's pieces and chocolate chips

I crave peanut butter.  I eat it with a spoon.  I eat it with crackers.  I eat it in cookies.
Peanut butter cookies are tough for me.  I don't like them crispy. Soft and peanut buttery all the way.  It's tough to get the perfect balance.  I think these cookies achieved this.
I've had these Reese's pieces in my pantry for a while.  To be honest, I can't believe I haven't eaten them.  Throwing them in these cookies just made sense.  I was going to just do the Reese's pieces, but how could I leave out peanut butter's best friend?? Chocolate chips were added to the dough.  I used large, milk chocolate chips.  Every bite of these cookies had a little extra peanut butter and chocolate flavor.
This dough was chilling in my fridge for about 8 hours.  For me this just came out of necessity.  I was busy with two Peytons (better luck next year Broncos) and baking cookies would just have to wait.  I would recommend chilling the dough for at least 1 hour.  I've been doing this with most of my cookies lately, it just gives the flavors more time to meld.  Give it a try.
These cookies were shared with some of my favorite girls: my book club.  We always enjoy great food and great laughs.....basically a perfect combo.  Just like these cookies.  I told myself I would only eat one.  Do you think I stuck to that plan?  Are you up to the challenge? 
Peanut Butter Cookies with Reese's Pieces and chocolate chips
Makes about 30 cookies
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 Tablespoon vanilla 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups Reese's pieces
1 cup milk chocolate chips
In a medium bowl mix baking soda, salt, and flour. Set aside.
Using a hand-held or stand mixer, cream butters and sugars together until smooth, for about 2 minutes. Mix in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla. Slowly add in flour mixture. Once combined, fold in Reese's pieces and chocolate chips.  At this point you can toss the dough in the fridge to chill for a while, or bake immediately in an oven heated to 350.  Use a medium cookie scoop or large tablespoon to drop dough on a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Cookies may appear underdone, but don't bake for more than 10 minutes.  Trust me.  Allow to cool on a wire rack.  
Shoot, I hope you all haven't made some resolutions to not eat cookies.  If you have, throw that out the window and get to eating.  There's always next year...
-->