Monday, May 13, 2013

Broccoli, egg, and cheese muffin cups

I love breakfast.  I really love it when someone makes it for me.  However, most days I am the one making breakfast.  Peyton and I really like having eggs.  I needed a way to make eggs as easy as possible.  Enter, the muffin tin.
A little bit of prep work, and you can have breakfast, or lunch or dinner, ready for the whole week.  After baking, keep these in the fridge, then just microwave for one minute and you're set.  You really don't have any reason to skip breakfast anymore.
I received some awesome gadgets from OXO and put them to use for this recipe.  My favorite has been the 3-in-1 egg separator.  It fits right on the bowl, has an elevated ridge for cracking, and separates the yolk from the whites with ease.
I added broccoli and cheese to my muffin cups, but you can make them however you like.  I think next time I'll try adding some ham and maybe green peppers.   This recipe made 6 muffins, but you can easily double to make 12.  I added toast and fruit and the meal was Peyton approved!
Broccoli, egg, and cheese muffin cups
2 cups broccoli florets (about one head of broccoli)
4 whole eggs
2 egg whites
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare muffin tin with cooking spray or baking papers.
Steam broccoli in a medium pot of boiling water for about 6 minutes.  Drain and set aside.  In a large bowl combine eggs, egg whites, milk, shredded cheese, and salt and pepper.  Fold in broccoli.  Pour into prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4 full. I sprinkled each with a little extra cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until each muffin turns light brown.  Serve immediately.  Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.    Reheat leftovers in the microwave for 1 minute.

Now you can have breakfast in no time!  

I received these OXO products as part of their blogger outreach program. Opinions are all mine.

-->