Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Chocolate Shortbread Bars with M&Ms

So do you have oodles of Halloween candy left?   We were pretty hopeful that we would have some serious trick-or-treaters here in our new neighborhood...we had about 10.  But, we have a whole bag of candy from Costco. That's over 100 pieces.  Needless to say I need to figure out what to do with all these fun size bars.
Honestly, I could eat it all.  Unfortunately, that wouldn't be the best choice for my waist line.  I figure the best way to get rid of candy is to turn it into baked goods. (Logic may not be one of my strong suits) There's a plethora of recipes for things to do with leftover candy.  I decided to start with this chocolate shortbread.  
Chocolate shortbread is very similar to classic shortbread.  The texture is exactly the same.  The chocolate flavor was slight, with an extra boost from the M&Ms.  It's not an overly sweet cookie, so feel free to wash it down with more of that leftover candy.  I think this would also be fun to make with mint candy. That's the nice thing about this recipe, it's a very versatile base.  
Chocolate Shortbread Bars with M&Ms
from Picky Palate
2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
M&Ms for garnish
Preheat oven to 350.  Line an 8x8 pan with tin foil and coat with cooking spray. Using your stand or hand mixer, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Melt chocolate chips in microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Add melted chocolate chips to butter and sugar mix until completely blended.  Slowly mix in salt and flour until combined. Dough will be thick. Press into pan and top with M&Ms (I placed them in rows)  Bake for 30 minutes. Once cool cut into bars.
I'm really glad I made these bars.  Such a good way to keep myself from eating candy......
-->