Thursday, February 6, 2014

Chocolate heart-shaped sandwich cookies

Is it just me, or has the world gone crazy?  Everyone I talk to is giving something up. 
Carbs. Sugar (??). Gluten. Coffee. Alcohol (??????)  
I just can't get on board.  I never make resolutions because I think I'm living pretty right.  I believe in balance, everything in moderation.  Except for coffee, Target, and Justin Timberlake...these are things you must indulge in.  And cookies, of course.  Lots and lots of cookies.
How fun are these cookies for Valentine's Day?   Perfect little chocolate hearts, with a cream filling and a few little sprinkles for extra fun.  You haven't given up on that have you?  They remind me of Oreos.  The dough is very easy to make and work with.  I would love to try and make them again with a cream cheese filling.  Wait...is everyone dairy free now??
Chocolate heart-shaped sandwich cookies
For cookies:
1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
5 Tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
For filling:
4 Tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 Tablespoons milk, if needed
For Cookies:
Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt, set aside.  In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, and egg.  Add dry ingredients to wet, stir to combine.  Knead until a dough forms. Divide dough in half, roll out each half between two pieces of parchment paper to about 1/8 inch thick.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment or a silpat.  Use heart shaped cookie cutter to cut dough, making sure to get an even number of hearts.  You can reroll your scraps once. Place hearts on cookie sheet and place in freezer for 15 minutes.  Bake until firm, about 8-10 minutes.  Let cookies cool completely on baking sheets.
For filling:
Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and gradually add sugars, beating until combined.   The granulated sugar does leave it slightly grainy, so don't expect it to be completely smooth.  Beat in vanilla. If filling is too thick, add milk one tablespoon at a time, until spreadable.  (I used both)  Spread on flat surface of half the cookies and sandwich with remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container, at room temperature, up to 1 week.
Sugar, carbs, gluten...yep, I put it all in one cookie.  I'll eat the whole batch if I have to...I'm no quitter.
-->