Saturday, March 26, 2011

Banana Bread

Now, you're probably wondering..Banana bread? Really?  Really Alex??



Really.

Now I realize banana bread isn't exactly re-inventing the wheel.  Most 8-year-old Girl Scouts can bake a loaf of banana bread. However, my husband adores banana bread and I adore him, so I think you can see where this is going.  Plus, it's raining in Seattle, and nothing cheers up a home more than the scent of anything baking in the oven.
Here's a confession, prior to turning 30, I had never baked a loaf of banana bread!  Shocking, since that's a standard for most bakers.  One day we were watching The Neely's on Food Network.  This couple loves BBQ and so do we.  On this episode, though, what stood out was their recipe for Momma Callie's Banana Nut Bread.  Greg (darling husband) commented that it looked good and I had to agree.  I have only ever made this recipe and I see no reason to try any other recipes.  (Actually, I am dying to make peanut butter banana bread, but my sweetie is a purist)

I always try and use at least 4 bananas in my bread.  3 will work fine also, but 4 really gives you that banana flavor.  Once my bananas are super ripe, I throw them in the freezer.   I like to use frozen bananas because when you are ready to use them, they release their own juices. You'll want to remove them from the freezer and allow to thaw for about 30 minutes or so.

(Bloggers note: some of these photos may not be for the faint of heart.)

Here's what the thawing bananas look like:



Dry ingredients are all mixed in one bowl.

  You'll want to squeeze your thawed bananas into a bowl and sort of mash them apart:




Add those to butter and sugar.  Once combined you'll add eggs, vanilla and the ingredient that I believe makes all the difference.....


just a little 1/2 cup of sour cream.  

This is what I believe makes this bread moist and delicious.  Add dry ingredients and nuts if you like.  About an hour later you will have a tasty treat that really no one can resist.  Slather with lots of butter.  Oh, and go ahead and slice it nice and thick....I won't tell.




Ingredients

  • 1 stick butter, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 large very ripe bananas
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and put a rack on the middle shelf. Butter and flour a 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl,whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
In a separate small bowl, mash the bananas with a spoon, leaving a bit of texture.
In another large bowl, use a hand electric mixer or stand mixer to cream the 1/2 cup of butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in the mashed bananas, sour cream, and vanilla and beat until just combined. Add the dry ingredients and gently stir in nuts. Pour the batter into the pan and put on a sheet tray.
Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. 
-->