Friday, April 8, 2011

Peanut butter wrapped in chocolate cookies.

There are few things in life better than this combo: peanut butter and chocolate.  I think if you did a survey, many people would say it is their absolute favorite combo.  I am one of those people.  However, I think this is one of the best ways to consume peanut butter......



yes, one (or two, or three) big spoonfuls.  Nothing to distract from that magical peanut butter!

But, we were celebrating Doctor's Day at work, and treats had to be made.  I figured a peanut butter and chocolate cookie would be a crowd pleaser. I had seen this recipe on  bakeorbreak.com.  A fun website with some tasty looking cookies.  Then after doing some web-surfing, I saw this recipe repeated on several different websites.  I had to give it a shot!
Basically you make a peanut butter filling and wrap it inside a chocolate cookie, like a baked peanut butter cup!


Let's start with the Chocolate Cookies:

  • 1 1/2 c flour
  • 1/2 c granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder ( I used Hershey's)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 c softened butter
  • 1/4 c peanut butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Stir together flour, cocoa and baking soda and set aside.
In a mixing bowl combine butter, sugar, brown sugar, and peanut butter.  Beat in egg, milk, and milk. Add the flour mixture until combined.  Roll into balls a little over an inch in diameter, place on a cookie sheet for later use. (On a side note, many of the recipes I saw said this would make as many as 30 cookies, I ended up with just over 20!)

Peanut Butter Filling
  • 3/4 c powdered sugar
  • 1/2 c peanut butter

I thought it might be a good idea to add some smashed Reese's pieces to the peanut butter mix.  I used about one bag, but I have to say it really wasn't worth the extra step.  I didn't notice the candy in the finished product.  Add it if you like, but definitely not necessary.

Combine peanut butter and powdered sugar until smooth.  (I just kneaded it with my hands.) 
Roll into balls.  Preheat oven to 350.  Slightly flatten a chocolate dough ball and top it with a peanut butter ball.  Wrap the chocolate around the peanut butter dough.  Roll into a ball until the peanut butter is completely covered.  


Place cookies about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten the cookies with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.

I baked them for exactly 9 minutes and they turned out perfect.  Cool on the pan for a minute and then transfer to a rack.  

Looks pretty tasty right??  

Overall, I liked the cookie.  Was it my favorite chocolate peanut butter cookie? No.  
Would I make it again? Maybe. 
 I was happy to have tried it and they all got eaten up at work, so I would say it was a success!

2 comments:

  1. Well it sounds good but was it missing something? I like the look of the flattened cookies. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure.... Tasty enough and I'm glad I tried them. fun to have a little peanut butter surprise, but I don't know if people really would know what kind of cookie it was?

    ReplyDelete