Monday, April 11, 2011

A tale of two cakes: Red Velvet and Tres Leches!

This was a BUSY baking weekend for me!  Two cakes over the course of a few days.  Which also means I ate cake three days in a row, but that's not really the point of this post!

Now I understand, some of you may fear this:



I am a girl who loves to eat organics. 
I fear high fructose corn syrup.  
I love real food.

But red food coloring?? 
 I don't even bat an eyelash at red food coloring. I realize that is nuts given my previous statement.  However, red food coloring makes red velvet cake GORGEOUS.


 The thing is, you really can't cheat it.  I've heard lots of stories of people who have used less that what the recipe calls for and a red cake, well, they just don't get it.  BFF Nikki and I were discussing this trend of using beet juice to color the cake.  I may try it.  I may not.
Red velvet cake is great for Valentine's Day, 4th of July, or because you're having friends over for a BBQ. I got this recipe from Bakerella's website.  You've seen her site right?  She's the queen bee of cake pops and many other adorable baked goods.  If you haven't checked out her page, do so now.  No really, now.
We'll wait...................................................................................................................................................

Awesome right??

I have baked this cake a handful of times and it's always turned out great.
A few tips:

  • Darling hubby and I have noticed that this cake is even better the next day.  So for a Saturday BBQ, I baked and frosted it on Friday.
  • This cake is moist, which is part of what makes it so appealing.  Because of this, it can be hard to remove from your baking pans.  This last time I made it, I put parchment in my cake pans and had a much easier time removing it.
  • The recipe calls for 2 oz (1/4 cup) of red food coloring.  This can be expensive.  I went to the local cash and carry and got a large bottle for under $5, much better value
  • The recipe calls for buttermilk.  You may be ready to make this cake and realize you are out of buttermilk!  If this happens, pull out a large liquid measuring cup, throw in one tablespoon of regular vinegar and add milk till you reach the one cup line.  5 minutes later, you have just made buttermilk! I just love science! (not really)
Give this cake a try, invite me over, and we'll eat it up!  It's gorgeous and tasty...all other cakes are most likely jealous.
Tres Leches to come next.....

1 comment:

  1. I think beet juice would just make it a weird purple color...best to stick with the food coloring! A little bit won't kill you!

    ReplyDelete