Friday, June 24, 2011

BLT Deviled eggs

Who doesn't love a BLT?

Especially the B part.  

Bacon...yum.


I recently entered a contest held by Eggland's Best Eggs.  Basically you just create an original recipe using their eggs.  I decided to give it a shot!  
I have really been loving Deviled Eggs lately.  I've been seeing them on so many restaurant menus.  They remind me of picnics and summer.

Why not combine a great appetizer with an awesome sandwich??

Darling Hubby helped me do some brainstorming and we had our plan set.  He is so great about giving me ideas and he is my sous chef!
Here's what we came up with!!




BLT Deviled Eggs
Makes 12 servigs

6 Eggland's Best Eggs
4 ounces Pancetta cubes
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp mustard
1/4 cup arugula
olive oil
fresh ground pepper
alderwood smoked sea salt

Pan fry pancetta cubes until crisp.  Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside
To boil eggs: cover in 1 1/2 inches water in a heavy saucepan, bring to a rolling boil.  Remove from heat and let sit covered for 15 minutes.
Let eggs cool.
Peel eggs and halve lengthwise.  Remove yolks and mash in a bowl with a fork.  Add mayonnaise and mustard and mix with egg yolks.   Add your pancetta cubes, saving a little for garnish.  Season with salt and pepper.

Halve tomatoes horizontally and put in the place of egg yolks.  Fill a pastry bag with yolk mixture and pipe onto egg whites.

Combine arugula and olive oil in your blender to create the arugula oil.  Add enough oil to liquify and break down the arugula.  Pour through a sieve to remove the arugula pieces and collect the oil in a bowl below.

To serve, drizzle plate with arugula oil and place eggs on top.  Garnish with remaining pancetta cubes and a sprinkle of alderwood smoked sea salt.



I'll keep you posted on the results, but I think this is a winning recipe!

2 comments:

  1. Albert. I am so proud of you. Remember when we thought Cheese Rice was gourmet????? Good luck with the contest
    Me aka Eve

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative you are! The tomato and the whipped yolks are calling my name- great recipe for the 4th. I would say a winner if I was judging in the contest. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete