Sunday, July 10, 2011

Fresh picked! Part I

Over the 4th of July weekend, we were very fortunate to have some great sunny days here in Seattle. Darling Husband and I went on a little road trip that included a trip to the outlet malls and a nice little drive. Along the way we ran into Dugualla Farms, a sweet little place that had great produce and u-pick strawberries! I have been wanting to do some berry picking so here was our chance.


Plus, who can beat those prices??!?!

The fields were nice and green and the smell was intoxicating. I could smell the berries before we were even at the field.

Great day for picking.


Nice haul!


I let "muscles" do all the heavy lifting.


A little over 5 pounds of fresh strawberries for under $9! The strawberries were delicious. Truly sweet and red all the way through. What a real strawberry should taste like.

These strawberries are sweet enough to eat straight from a bowl, but I decided to use the berries in a couple different dishes. I'm going to break these up in a few posts so you don't die of boredom.... :)

First thing I made was a pretty obvious choice...strawberry shortcake! This is one of Darling Husband's favorite desserts. We like our shortcake with a sort of biscuit like flavor and texture, so I use sort of a cheater method....Bisquick!



The Bisquick Method is quick and easy. I'll have to try a method completely from scratch sometime, but for now, I'm sticking with it! You should try it.


Classic Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake

1/4 cup sugar
2 1/3 cups original Bisquick
1/2 cup milk
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp butter, melted


Heat oven to 425. In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients until a soft dough forms. Drop by spoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.


*of note, this recipe makes six servings. You could easily decrease this by half and have a nice serving for two or three. For some reason, I never seem to do this and then the leftover shortcakes sit on my counter and I nibble on them until it's way past appropriate.*


I never measure my strawberries. I probably cut and hull about 2 cups of strawberries for the two of us. Have you ever tried to macerate your strawberries in brown sugar as opposed to granulated sugar? I really like it. It's a great flavor without being two sweet. Throw 2 or 3 Tbsp in with your cut strawberries and let sit for about an hour at room temperature...you won't be disappointed.

Cut your warm shortcakes and top with strawberries and your favorite whip cream.
Perfect summer treat!



-->