Thursday, August 18, 2011

Apple and Peach Hand Pies


Nothing says summer like pie.  
I made these little hand pies to bring to a delightful pig roast hosted by our fantastic, foodie cousins Jimmy and Heather.  
I wanted something easy to eat and serve, with minimal effort from our hosts.  After lots of research I found a great recipe on one of my favorite blogs, Smitten Kitchen.   I have tried several of her recipes and not a single one has failed me.
These little pies were time-consuming, but I think totally worth the effort.  The process does involve a lot of time spent chilling your dough, so you definitely have down time.  
Did I mention I've never made a pie crust?  Yes, it's odd, but true...it won't be my last. For my first pie crust...not bad.  I think the process yielded a very flaky crust.  I'd like to try it in a regular pie sometime.
For the filling I decided to do two classics: peach and apple. 

For 24 pies I used 2 Granny Smith apples and about 4 fresh peaches.  

Peel peaches and dice into very small cubes.  
Combine with 2 Tbsp flour and sugar.  
Add a pinch of salt and a splash of vanilla extract.    
Stir together and set aside.

Peel,core, and dice apples into very small cubes.
Combine with: 
1/4 cup sugar 
1/2 Tbsp flour 
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt and nutmeg
1/2 tsp lemon juice


For the actual pie crust instructions I"m going to refer you to Smitten Kitchen.  I couldn't do any better explaining all the details to you.  I followed every step down to the last detail....you should to, she won't lead you astray.  
Unfortunately the largest biscuit cutter I had was only 3.75, I wished I had one that was at least 4 like recommended.  The pies were quite small and didn't hold a lot of filling, but that just makes it easier to eat two!

Your house will smell fantastic.  Serve with some vanilla ice cream and you are set!

Nice, flaky, layered crust.  I'd like to try making these again.  Maybe with a cream filling? Peanut butter? Chocolate?  The possibilities are endless!  I think this would also be a fun project to do with little helpers in the kitchen.  Kids would love to help with making these pies!


Hope you enjoy the rest of your summer...eat some pie, it will help!

-->