Sunday, August 7, 2011

Vegan Molasses Cookies

This is my first post participating in the recipe swap over at Christianna's blog, Burwell General Store.  Each month we are given a recipe to tweak and make our own.  The recipes are taken from the book, All day Singin' and Dinner on the Ground.  Christianna found this book at a junk store and has invited others to join in her progression through the recipes. The main rule is to change at least three ingredients. 
I was excited to see that the recipe was for Molasses Cookies, as I have never made them and I love trying something new.  On a side note..another new thing I tried: molasses.  I wondered how it would taste so I tried a bit on my finger.  Um...bad idea.  It is not good. Not good at all.
These cookies though? They are pretty darn tasty!  After reviewing the recipe, I decided they would be easy to adapt into Vegan cookies.  I had much success with my first attempt at  Vegan cookies, so I decided to try again!  I'm happy I did.  The cookies were really easy.
Here's the original recipe:


Here is my recipe:
makes 18 cookies


1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour  (I used cake flour.  would be fun to try with whole wheat, or regular flour)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350


In a large bowl mix sugar, oil, molasses, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl mix flour, salt, soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
Add your dry ingredients to the sugar mix.
Use a medium cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop cookies onto a greased cookie sheet.
Slightly flatten cookies with a sugar dipped glass.


I baked these for about 12 minutes.  10 minutes may have been better.  Check them at 10 and then add a minute or two as needed.
Cool on sheet for about a minute, then transfer to a cooling rack.


My major changes:
No eggs, no shortening.  I replaced with oil.
No ginger.  I left this out because one of my co-workers loves molasses cookies, but she is allergic to ginger.  Also, I didn't have any in the house!
I cut the recipe down and replaced the regular flour with cake flour.
I didn't add coffee.  I will next time though, I love the flavor coffee adds to baked goods.


These cookies turned out pretty nice!  They weren't quite as soft as I usually like my cookies.  This could be because of the baking time and also the cake flour.  They have some bite to them..sort of the texture of a gingersnap.  The flavor is very good though.  I would make them again.  Hopefully, my Vegan friends like them also!
My first month participating in the recipe swap has been a success!  I'm looking forward to more recipes and seeing what my fellow swappers have come up with!  You can see all of their posts on Christianna's blog.  Happy reading....and eating!



1 comment:

  1. I love a ginger snap so if these taste anything like that then I am all over it! It is good to have good vegan recipes for when the vegan friends come over!

    ReplyDelete