Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Skillet-baked chocolate chip cookie

Who doesn't love a chocolate chip cookie straight from the oven?  Warm, gooey chocolate and a yummy cookie base.  
I have two of these mini skillets, measuring 6 inches across by 3/4 inch deep.
This is basically enforced portion control. Instead of baking up a few dozen cookies and eating every last one, you have one gigantic cookie to enjoy.  With ice cream.  
Diet-friendly.
The dough is easy to prepare and then you just fill up your skillet!  No need to worry about measuring out your dough and baking.  No muss, no fuss.  
This recipe gave me just enough dough for two mini skillets, and a few cookies on the side.
To be honest, I would have had enough dough for 6 cookies, but someone really likes cookie dough.


Skillet baked chocolate chip cookies


Warm, fresh from the oven cookie, kept warm in a cast iron skillet.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 35 minutes


I did my baking in two mini skillets with a few cookies on the side.  If you have a regular size cast iron skillet, just double the recipe.
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla 
1 cup chocolate chips
sea salt for garnish


Preheat oven to 350.  Grease you skillets
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl
In the bowl of your stand mixer, or another large bowl, blend your butter and sugars for 2 minutes on a low speed.  Add the egg and vanilla.  Slowly add the dry ingredients. Add the chocolate chips and completely mix.  
Place the dough in the prepared skillets, filling almost to the very top.  Smooth out into an even layer.  I added a little sprinkle of sea salt to the top of each cookie, I think this really added a nice flavor.
Place the skillets on a baking sheet before placing in the oven.  The cookies might bake up a little over the top.....you should eat that part.
Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center is set.


I highly recommend you serve this with vanilla ice cream.  We didn't have any in the house and I wish we did.  I guess I'll have to make these again...or come to your house when you do! ??
These are prepared in a mini skillet, but are definitely large enough to share. Unless you are me, I'm not sharing.  Definitely not. 
Now get in the kitchen, there's nothing but about 45 minutes separating you from warm chocolate chip cookies!





-->