Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Yummy little pumpkin and cream cheese pillows.
I make these every year.  However, this year, I almost forgot!  Luckily, I didn't completely lose my mind.  

I share a love for these little treats with my friend Kathleen's daughter, Audrey.  I once made these for our book club, Audrey tried one, and I've been in her good graces ever since!  Audrey and I also share a love for Twilight and The Hunger Games...clearly this kid has very sophisticated taste.

These treats are easy to make and even easier to eat. They're a yummy little pumpkin sponge cake with a sweet cream cheese filling.  You can't go wrong.



This recipe makes 12 sandwiches. I can eat 12 myself. I typically double the recipe, I recommend you do the same.

Pumpkin Whoopie PIes
recipe from Rachael Ray
1 1/2 sticks butter, 1 melted, 1/2 stick softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, slightly beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups flour
4 ounces cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar

For the Cakes:
Preheat oven to 350.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, or a silpat.
In a large bowl whisk together melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, 1 teaspoon vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Fold in the flour.
Using an ice cream scoop, drop batter onto your baking sheet.  Bake until springy to the touch, about 10 minutes.  Cool on a baking rack.
For the frosting:
Using an electric mixer, cream together the 1/2 stick softened butter with the cream cheese.  Add the sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.  Mix until fluffy and delish!
Slather the flat side of the cakes with frosting and top with another cake. Eat up!
Make these for your Halloween weekend, every weekend in November, make them for me!








-->