Saturday, October 15, 2011

Zesty Turkey Burgers

WOW!  It has been a lllloooonnnngggg time!  I have had a lot going on and just returned from a little trip to Sin City, so my blogging has been on the back burner! Tough for me because fall is my favorite time to be at home, in my kitchen....eating.   I promise to put forth a little more effort! 


As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I was asked to sample some Sargento cheese. Specifically to compare all-natural Sargento Cheese to processed cheese slices.  Now, when I looked like this...


clearly, not long ago...I loved those plastic-wrapped cheese slices. I even had a very advanced system to eat them.
First, I went to the fridge and unwrapped the little yellow square.


Second, 
fold in half.
Next, 
fold into a nice little square....and eat! This was the only way I ever ate this stuff.  And I ate a lot of it.
I tried the same method with the Sargento Pepper Jack cheese.
Equally effective, however, much more tasty.  I do have good memories of those cheese slices though.
I decided to use the pepper jack cheese to top some turkey burgers I made for lunch.


Zesty Turkey Burgers
serves 4


1 pound ground turkey
2 bell peppers of your choice (I used yellow and orange)
1 whole onion
1 Tablespoon Sriracha
salt and peper to taste


Remove top and seeds from bell peppers. Cut into small chunks.  
Cut your onion in half and then slice your halves lengthwise. 
Use a medium sized saute pan and coat bottom with olive oil.  Add onions and peppers and cook until softened  Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl combine ground turkey, the pepper and onion mix, Sriracha, and salt and pepper. Divide evenly until 4 patties.
Once again, coat your pan with oil.  Add the 4 patties.  Cook for 7 minutes on first side, or until your get a nice, crisp crust, then flip and cook for another 7 minutes.  Add your favorite cheese for the last minute of cooking.
For comparison, I added both types of cheese to my turkey burgers.
I have to say that both melted quite nicely!  However, I didn't sample the processed cheese burger.
I really enjoyed the pepper jack cheese. It had just enough spice and it added great flavor to the turkey burgers.  I would definitely buy it again.


If you need any of the processed cheese slices, they are still in my fridge...I'll show you how to eat them!
-->