Sunday, October 2, 2011

Apple Slaw, Recipe Swap





Another month has just flown by and that means it's time for this month's recipe swap over at Burwell General Store. This month's recipe was for a coleslaw.






I have to admit, coleslaw isn't one of my favorite things to eat. I'm not sure why, it's just never been my thing. So when I got this recipe I knew I would have no trouble changing it up. Fall is here and I couldn't be happier. It's always been my favorite season. I love the crisp days. Men in nice wool coats. The yummy, comfort food. Days spent watching football. And let's face it, my wardrobe in the fall is much better.
One of the yummy things I like about fall is all the tasty apples. I decided this would be the base of my slaw. Pretty easy slaw, and you only need a few ingredients. The only thing that really was time-consuming was slicing my apples and carrots. That really took some time. However, once you get everything cut down to size, you're basically ready to go!




Apple Slaw


2 Granny Smith apples
3 whole carrots
2 Tablespoons mayo
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon champagne vinegar
salt and pepper to taste


Cut your apples down into slices the size of matchsticks. Peel and cut your carrots into similarly sized pieces. Combine in a bowl. In a separate small bowl whisk together, mayo, Dijon mustard, honey, apple cider vinegar, and champagne vinegar. Pour this mixture over your apple and carrots and toss to coat. Add salt and pepper as needed. Store any uneaten portion in a sealed container in our refrigerator.


I served this with some of my favorite chicken sausages from Al Fresco. This makes for a light easy dinner, or a great lunch. Would be easy to pack up and bring to a potluck.


Another fun recipe swap. I'm looking forward to our next recipe.  Visit these blogs for more entries in this month's recipe swap:




















-->