Sunday, December 4, 2011

Recipe Swap: Chocolate Chip Blondies

Time for another recipe swap!   Last one for 2011!  This month, Christiana gave us a new book to swap from.
I've basically been in the middle of a baking bonanza.  Cookies, cookies, and more cookies!  This month's recipe is no exception.
Did you read the description??  Toll House cookies originated from an actual toll house!  
When I first received the recipe I thought I would really stick to the original idea.  But remember how I said I was in the middle of a baking bonanza??  True, we are given our recipe about a month prior to the swap. True, a more prepared blogger might work on their post in advance.  I really prefer procrastination.   When you need to bake cookies in a hurry, you turn them into a bar cookie.  No need to scoop out dough in batches.  Throw your dough in one pan and you are done! Blondies are an easy base because they require few ingredients.  This recipe is so easy to adapt. You can add chocolate chips, peanut butter, nuts...endless possibilities.
Chocolate Chip Blondies
makes one 8x8 pan (doubles easily for a 9x13)
1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1 cup flour
1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 and grease or line your pan with parchment paper (I recommend parchment)
Over medium heat, melt butter.  Continue cooking until butter becomes fragrant and starts to brown.  You will begin to see little brown bits on the bottom of your pan.  
Combine this with brown sugar and mix until smooth.  Beat in egg and vanilla.
Add salt and flour. Stir in chocolate chips.
Bake for 25 minutes.
I'm thinking these might need a scoop of ice cream...
This is a perfect little treat to satisfy your cookie craving in a hurry.  Take some time to see how my fellow swappers adapted a classic recipe.  I'm sure everyone got quite a bit more creative than me!  Looking forward to our next swap to start out 2012!

-->