Sunday, January 8, 2012

Recipe Swap: Vanilla Bean Flan for two

Our first recipe swap of 2012!!  As you may know, each month I participate in the Burwell General Store Recipe Swap. We are given a recipe and then we each put our own creative twist on the original recipe.  This month's recipe:
Hmmmmm...first of all, I didn't even know what Zabaglione was!!!  
After some research, I learned it was an Italian custard dessert!  Yum! How would I adapt this recipe??
Darling Husband and I are quickly approaching our 1 year wedding anniversary! WOW! Time flies.  We've just planned a babymoon back to Cabo to help celebrate.

One of my favorite nights during our wedding fun was our rehearsal dinner at Mi Casa.  We had a great meal and for dessert??? Flan!

There we go! A similar custard dish, traditional in Latin America!  

Flan is actually a very simple recipe.  You probably have everything you need in the house. I scaled this down to make two 5 ounce ramekin portions.  This would be a fun recipe to make for your upcoming Valentine's Day Dinner. Or go to Cabo and try it at Mi Casa!

Vanilla Bean Flan
makes 2 ramekins

4 Tbsp sugar (for caramel)
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup cream
5 Tbsp sugar
Seeds from one vanilla bean pod (you can substitute 1 tsp vanilla, or vanilla bean paste)
Preheat oven to 350.
Melt 4 Tbsp sugar in a saucepan until it turns to a golden amber color.  (this took a little longer than I expected, allow about 15 minutes)
Meanwhile, mix together egg yolks, 5 Tbsp sugar, cream and vanilla bean seeds.
Once melted sugar has become caramel color, pour it into the bottom of your ramekins and swirl to coat the bottom. 
Pour egg mixture on top.
Place your ramekins in a water bath of boiling water.  (I used my cake pan, check out that steaming water!)
Bake for 35 mins, or until a knife inserted close to the edge comes out clean.
Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.  
To serve, loosen edges with a knife, cover dish with serving plate, turn upside down, shaking gently to remove.
Enjoy and share with someone sweet!

Another fun recipe swap!  I always look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. Please check out the other blogs to see what they created.

-->