Monday, March 12, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie #1, cold butter cookies

Have you all heard of Carol's Cookies??  You can find them at Whole Foods and I recommend you try one immediately!  They each weigh about 5 pounds, and they have this super tasty, sugary flavor.  Very unlike any other chocolate chip cookie I've ever had.   Ever since I tried this cookie, I have been on a mission to recreate the recipe.  
I did a lot of internet research and there are several opinions on the secret to these tasty cookies.  Of course, the recipe is top secret, so all we can do is hypothesize.  
One thing seemed to be consistent: cold butter.  Typically most cookies require room temperature butter.  I decided it couldn't hurt to try it!  I went with the cold butter and a little extra brown sugar.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes about 2 dozen
8 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment or a silpat
Beat the sugars and butter together until smooth.  Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda.
Stir together the flour and salt, then add to the batter. Stir in chocolate chips.
Scoop the dough onto cookie sheets and bake for 12-14 minutes.
These cookies were good, but definitely nowhere near a Carol's Cookie.  The texture was slightly cakey, not at all grainy like Carol's.  Good flavor, but not my favorite cookie.  Very easy to make (and eat) but I still have some work to do in creating my own Carol's Cookie.  Seems like I'll have to keep going to Whole Foods to get in some more research!
More recipes to come!
-->