Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Corn Salad with Manchego and Lime

Hard to believe, but summer is starting to wind down.  Back to school sales are everywhere and September is only a few weeks away.  Fall is my favorite time of year, so I'm looking forward to it.  But, before I go shooing summer away, here's a tasty corn salad you should make for your next outdoor meal.  I got the recipe from Bon Appetit, one of my favorite cooking magazines.
The jalapeno and red pepper flakes add a little spice, but the lime juice and cheese balance it out.  The recipe calls for Manchego, which I found at Whole Foods, but I bet it would be good with a white cheddar also.  You roast the corn in the oven first, which I think really brings out the sweetness.
Corn Salad with Manchego and Lime
6 ears of corn, unhusked
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp butter
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 lime
1 cup finely grated Manchego cheese
1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
2 tsp lime zest
Preheat oven to 450. Roast corn on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.  Once cool, shuck corn and cut kernels from cob.  Put corn in a large serving dish.
Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.  Add corn and saute for 5 minutes.  Add butter and stir until melted.  Salt and pepper to taste.
To your corn add jalapeno and red pepper flakes.  Add juice from lime.  Finally add cheese, zest and chives.  Stir to combine all flavors.
Recipe tips:
I plan for one ear of corn per person.  This recipe would serve 6.  If you are having more guests, I would just get a few extra ears.  This is a very forgiving recipe, so you could easily add a little extra cheese, chives, and red pepper flakes.
Want to remove that nasty jalapeno from your fingers?  Scrub your fingertips with the flesh of the lime and wash hands really well.  
Hope you're all enjoying these last lazy days of summer!
-->