Monday, October 8, 2012

Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies

ZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZ.....I've been tired over here folks!  So how about some brownies for a wake-up call?  The base to these brownies is my favorite browned butter brownie recipe from Bon Appetit.  If you haven't made that recipe, you must.  It's delicious and easy.  I then added some Oreos and a cream cheese swirl. You'll want a glass of milk to wash these down.
These Oreos sat in my pantry for a while.  Then they moved to my counter.  Then right to my hips.  I just can't resist them.  I can usually turn down a store bought cookie, but if you offer me an Oreo, game over.  Oreo is also my favorite Blizzard flavor.  I recently saw they have football shaped Oreos! I'll be buying those for my football Sundays.  
Oreo Cream Cheese Brownies
makes one 8x8 pan
Brownie Base from Bon Appetit
10 Tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1 cup broken Oreo cookies
Preheat oven to 325.  Line 8x8 pan with foil and spray foil with cooking spray.  Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Continue cooking until butter stops foaming and browned bits form at the bottom of the pan.  Remove from heat and add sugar, cocoa, water, salt, and vanilla. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.  When mixture becomes thick and shiny, add flour.  Last, fold in Oreo pieces.
Cream cheese layer
6 ounces softened cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine all ingredients and use either a stand mixer or hand mixer to completely mix all ingredients until smooth.
Drop spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture on top of brownie mix and use a knife to swirl it in.   I added a few more broken brownies on top of the cream cheese layer, totally optional. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to completely cool before serving. I think they taste really good after being in the refrigerator for a while.
I hope you'll try these brownies.  I bet they'd look pretty cute with the Halloween Oreos that are out right now! I'll definitely make them again, if only just for an excuse to have Oreos in the house.
-->