Thursday, November 8, 2012

Coca-Cola Cake

I did something weird.  I opened a can of Coke.  I opened a box of chocolate cake mix.  I combined them and made a cake.  Yes, that's it, 2 ingredients. This was not some nutty experiment I decided to run with.  A cake made with a can of soda is actually a pretty popular thing.  A lot of people make a white cake with a can of Sprite.  I still might be curious enough to try that.  When this cake is made with diet soda, it is called a "Weight Watchers Cake."  I chose to use regular Coke.
Since there was no egg for a binder, I thought this cake was pretty messy.  As you can see, I struggled even getting it out of the pan.  Truth be told, I did not really like this cake.  The frosting sort of saved it though.  It tastes just like the frosting on a Texas Sheet Cake.  For me the Coke flavor was still too strong in the cake.  Whenever I had a bite, there was just a lingering Coke flavor that I didn't like.  I do think that lessened over the next day or two.  
Coca Cola Cake
1 12 oz can coke
1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
Combine in bowl and follow directions on box for baking times.  I made two, 9-inch cakes, baking for about 20 minutes.
Frosting
1/2 cup butter
1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
6 Tablespoons Coca Cola
3 cups powdered sugar
In a medium pan, over medium heat, bring butter, cocoa, and Coca Cola to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar.  Immediately pour over cake.
This was such a crazy cake, I just had to share with you all.  Has anyone had good experiences with this type of cake?  Like I said, I may still consider making a white cake with a can of Sprite. The chocolate version just wasn't for me. Sometimes you shouldn't mess with a good thing.


-->