Monday, November 5, 2012

Recipe Swap:Hummingbird cupcakes

It's recipe swap time!  As per usual, I put this to the last minute!  However, I am pleased with the results.  I used an ingredient that I usually would never have in my kitchen:pineapple!  Not sure what it is about pineapple, but I am not a fan.  People love it, I get it, I am just not that person.
When I saw the recipe for this month, I instantly thought of carrot cake. That was about as creative as I was willing to get. I decided to hit up the interwebz for inspiration.  I searched for "cakes similar to carrot"  First thing that popped up was a Hummingbird Cake.  I am familiar with this flavor as it is often found at my favorite local cupcake shop.  I am also familiar with it because it does include the dreaded pineapple.  The Hummingbird Cake is huge in the south. Many people serve it several layers high covered in cream cheese frosting.   Cream cheese frosting? Now that I can get behind.  The recipe also called for bananas.  A comparison to banana bread was common.  I decided to be brave. Baby P and I hit the store, bought some pineapple, and got to baking.

Hummingbird Cupcakes
adapted from Southern Living
Makes 14-16 cupcakes
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 medium sized, very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 and prepare cupcake tin.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl.  Add egg, egg white, and oil.  Stir until ingredients are just combined.  Stir in vanilla, bananas, pineapple, and pecans.
I used an ice cream scoop to fill my cupcake papers.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking with a toothpick inserted in the middle.
Cream cheese frosting
1/2 cup softened butter
4 ounces softened cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese, using your hand mixer on medium speed. Once light and fluffy add vanilla.  Finally add powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and mix until completely combined.  Frost completely cooled cupcakes.
This is a good little cake!  The pineapple is not really that strong.  The first thing I noticed after tasting it was banana.  I know the pineapple helps make the cake moist, but I wonder how it would taste without?  I used very little, but just enough for my taste.  This is also such an easy recipe.  You pretty much just need one big bowl.  These can be whipped up in no time! I can see why this is such a popular cake.  I would definitely make it again....pineapple and all!
Please check in with my fellow swappers...you won't be disappointed with their creations!



-->