Sunday, January 27, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup

I know a lot of people really don't like the cold weather.  It's not my favorite, but there are some things about it that I do enjoy: boots, scarves, sweaters, comfort food.  This soup is simple, but satisfying, with a lot of flavor.  It is so easy to prepare and it will definitely warm you up.  I recommend you wash it down with a margarita......or two.
Once again, I broke out my crockpot for this soup.  Honestly, all you do is dump the ingredients in and wait.  Once the soup is done you add all your favorite toppings.   This soup is great because you most likely have the majority of the ingredients in your house, making it an inexpensive meal.  This makes a lot of soup so invite some friends over, or hunker down and eat it all yourself.  Close your eyes and you might even think you are in Mexico.  Or maybe I just had too many margaritas??
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 large onion, chopped
2 bell peppers of your choice (I used red), chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
2 chicken breasts
1 cup black beans
1 14.5 ounce can of diced, fire roasted tomatoes
1 4 ounce can diced chiles
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
2 cups corn (I used frozen)
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
For optional garnish:
avocado
grated cheese
tortilla strips (you can find them with the croutons)
freshly squeezed lime juice
Combine all ingredients, except for the garnishes, in your slow cooker, placing the chicken in last.  Cook on high for 5 hours or low for about 8 hours.  Before serving, remove chicken breasts and shred with 2 forks.  Return to crockpot and stir to combine.  Dish up and top with garnishes. Don't forget your cocktail!



  
-->