Monday, February 18, 2013

Blueberry Bran Muffins

Hi....yes, it's me.  Blogging about bran muffins.  The thing is, I had to make these muffins for baby P.  I will spare you the details (and her any further embarrassment) but she needed some dietary changes.  Her doctor suggested bran muffins, so I made it my mission to bake some.  
Peyton really enjoys finger foods and feeding herself, so muffins are a great treat for her.  These are definitely not muffins that will make you think of those chocolate yummies at Costco.  However, for a "healthy" muffin they are very tasty.  The only sweetener is maple syrup.  I added the blueberries for more sweetness and flavor.  
We have shared these for breakfast and P just gobbles them up.  This recipe makes just about 24 muffins and they freeze perfectly.  I grab one from the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge overnight.  We eat them plain, but I bet they would be really good with butter.  I used one whole egg in this recipe, as Peyton eats entire eggs without any allergic reaction.  Some parents may not be giving their babies egg whites, so you could try an egg substitute or maybe just use the yolk.
Blueberry Bran Muffins
adapted from all recipes
1 1/2 cup wheat bran
2 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare your muffin tin with cooking spray, or muffin papers. In a large bowl, whisk together wheat bran, whole wheat flour, kosher salt, baking soda, and cinnamon, set aside.  In another bowl mix together buttermilk, maple syrup, egg, and oil. Add to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Fold in blueberries.  Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake for about 15 minutes, until muffin tops are springy and golden brown. 
*To freeze, I wrapped each individual muffin in saran wrap and stored them in a gallon Ziploc freezer bag*
I am so happy that these muffins have been a success with Peyton....and myself.  I'm constantly looking for new foods to feed her and I'm happy I found something that I could make.   So far she is a good guinea pig.  These muffins are a great on-the-go breakfast or snack.  Plus, you won't feel too bad after eating this muffin...so grab that extra cookie.  I'll try to post something that includes sugar soon. Promise.

-->