Monday, March 11, 2013

Double Chocolate Cookies with Sea Salt

What's better than chocolate? More chocolate. With salt on top.
I made these cookies for last month's Bakin' Friends. But don't you worry...I sampled a few hundred first.
This month's secret ingredient was dark chocolate, so I used dark chocolate and milk chocolate chips.  I think I'll use dark chocolate chips more in my baking.  I rarely use semi-sweet.  Nothing against them, but I just prefer milk chocolate. However, if you're looking for a slightly less sweet chocolate, I recommend the dark chocolate chips.  They're also perfect for eating right from the bag.
These cookies remind me of a brownie.  Intense chocolate flavor with extra chocolate in the chips that are sprinkled in.   But the best part?  It's the sea salt on top.  If you make these cookies, you must include the salt.  Don't worry about your blood pressure.  The salt and chocolate are such a perfect pair.  When you taste the salt, it only makes the chocolate taste that much better.  That's a gift from me to you.
Double Chocolate Cookies with Sea Salt
1 cup flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups dark chocolate chips
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
sea salt for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 325.  Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
In a microwave, or double boiler, melt butter and semi sweet chips together.  If using a  microwave, melt in 20 second intervals until the mixture is smooth and shiny.
Beat this mixture with the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Add in the flour mixture and mix well. Fold in dark chocolate chips.  Drop dough on parchment lined baking sheets.  Bake for 13-15 minutes.  Be careful not to overbake, tops of cookies will appear to crack.  Cookies may still appear soft before pulling from oven.  Sprinkle with sea salt immediately upon pulling them from the oven. Cool completely on wire rack.
If you need a chocolate fix you better hop in the kitchen.  This will cure your chocolate craving in no time.  Your salty craving also! Win win!




-->