Sunday, June 9, 2013

Salted Caramel and chocolate chip cookies

We have some new neighbors who just moved in across the street.  I decided to be super neighborly and bake them up some treats.  I always like trying out a new twist on a classic recipe.  I've been reading a lot about people adding a little cornstarch to their chocolate chip cookies.  The corn starch is supposed to create that nice chewy texture and produce a nice puffy cookie.  I tried this recipe two different ways.  With one, I chilled the dough, the other, straight to the baking sheet.
I honestly didn't notice any difference in either of the methods.  I did really like the texture though: nice chewy outside, soft middle.  Maybe I'll have to keep making them to perfect the recipe.  All in the name of research right? For fun I added in some caramel chips.  Oh, and a little sprinkle of sea salt on top.  Both add-ins are optional, but I think totally worth it.
 Salted Caramel and chocolate chip cookies
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1 cup caramel chips
sea salt for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.  Stir together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt.  Set aside.
With a mixer cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add egg and vanilla and mix completely, scraping the bowl as necessary.  Add pre-mixed dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Stir in chocolate and caramel chips.
Using a medium cookie scoop, or a tablespoon, drop rounded balls of dough on prepared cookie sheet.  Sprinkle dough with sea salt.
Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Tops will still appear light and slightly undone.  Do not bake longer than 10 minutes.  9 minutes was perfect in my oven.  Allow to cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to rack to cool completely.  Yum!
It's fun to put little twists on cookie recipes. Luckily, this didn't turn out to be a negative experiment. I would definitely make this recipe again.  Would be fun to try this with other fun candies or mix-ins.  Like I said, I'm willing to keep trying...it's the least I can do for you.
-->