Tuesday, June 4, 2013

One year of Motherhood

Crazy to see the title of this post!  One year with my new BFF and sidekick!  It is true what they say, time does fly when you have a kid around. However, if I am being honest,  some days felt really, really long.  Also, there were many long nights.  The first six months were the toughest.  I've heard it said about raising kids: the days are long, but the years are short.  Truer words have never been spoken.  The thing is, even though she's in bed no later than eight, I still have work to do.  Cleaning up from the day, getting ready for the next day, and also trying to factor in some time for just me.  Seems there are never enough hours in the day.
I absolutely love my new job as Peyton's personal assistant.  On those long days though? I wouldn't mind a one-way ticket to Cabo!  I think I'd probably start to miss her though. Probably.  I think being a stay-at-home mom can make those days feel longer.  (I am not here to say being a stay-at-home mom is more challenging than being a working parent.  I don't know how working parents do it!  I'm just giving my perspective as a stay-at-home mom.) I am so grateful to be able to spend my days with her. I really don't want to miss anything.  There are definitely challenges though. 12 hours spent with a person who can not really do anything for themselves and who you can not reason with, and who doesn't understand when mommy might want to go to the bathroom by herself...that can be exhausting.  I'm lucky to have a husband who steps in and gives me the reprieve when needed. Also, there's wine and cookies.
Becoming a Mom has changed me.  I see things differently now.  My priorities are definitely different.  My family and my baby are number one.  I definitely don't have time for a lot of the things that I used to enjoy, but I know that there will be a time for those things again.  It honestly doesn't matter right now.  I am completely dedicated to this period in my life and I want to give it my all...except for those moments when I'm on Facebook, Pinterest, or watching TV.
As far as Peyton goes....she is great. She just had her one-year check-up and she is right on track! Weighing 20 pounds and 29 inches long, she's about average.  No walking yet, but slowly getting a few steps in.  I know once she starts, I'm in for it.  One of my favorite things about her now is how affectionate she has become.  She gives the best, most slobbery, open-mouth kisses ever!  She also will "hug", by laying her head on you.  It's only about the cutest thing.  Also, if you ask her if something is "soft", she will put it to her cheek to test it out. She does this with just about everything, dolls, blankets, stuffed animals, dirty laundry.  I'm working on cutting out her bottles, and giving her almost all table food.  This kid is still a maniac for food!  She loves to eat and has no patience.  Food! Now! She now has eight teeth!!  The two most recent being molars, which I think caused her a little discomfort.  We're having fun with our music class, but I think she's ready for a new challenge.  She wants to be on the move as much as she can.  We just went to a really fun Play and Learn class at Gymboree, and I think that is more to her speed.  I would also like to do some swim classes.  She has a really fun group of friends, and I enjoy spending time with their moms...it's a win-win!  
Overall, I think she's a healthy, happy kid.  It's crazy to look back on the changes.  These past few months I've especially noticed how much she is growing.  I'm really enjoying this age, but always looking forward to what she'll do next!
-->