Thursday, August 15, 2013

Nordy Bars

Have you ever had a Nordy Bar?  I had never heard of them until I was searching the Internets for a way to use up some butterscotch chips.  I have however, heard of Nordstrom.  Growing up in a small-ish town, we didn't have a lot of places to shop, but we DID have a Nordstrom. I have lots of memories of going shopping there as a kid.  Many, many pairs of stirrup pants were purchased there.  I remember my mom could just write a note saying it was okay for me to use her credit card!  
I made these goodies for my sugary sweet book club friends. These bars are not sugar-free.  They have butterscotch chips, marshmallows, and chocolate chips.  I cut them small, so they were guilt-free!
Nordy Bars
makes one 9x13 pan
1/2 cup butter
1 12 ounce package butterscotch chips
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips (I mixed milk and semi sweet)
2 cups mini marshmallows
Preheat oven to 350.  Line 9x13 pan with parchment paper, leaving enough to hang over the edges for easy removal.
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter.  Add butterscotch chips and brown sugar. Stir until melted.  Remove from heat, allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Add eggs, flour, baking powder, salt, and vanilla, set aside to cool. Once cool, stir in chocolate chips and marshmallows.
Spread evenly in pan.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Bars will be soft and gooey when you take them out, but will set up as they cool.
I ate a lot of these bars.  Looks like I'll be making a trip to Nordstrom to pick up some new pants.
-->