Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Blondies with Pretzel M&Ms and Pretzel pieces

Yep, sweet and salty combo.  Are you a salty or sweet person? I am 100% a sweet person.  Oh I love salt don't get me wrong, but I can not pass up a sweet treat.  If I have to choose between potato chips and a cookie, I'll choose a cookie....after the potato chips.
I made these blondies for my Bakin' Friend last month.  Our secret ingredient was pretzels.  I love a little hint of salt in my sweet treats.  I doubled it up with pretzel pieces and pretzel M&Ms.
For the blondie base, I used the same recipe as these peanut butter blondies, which I also made with M&Ms.  I didn't use peanut butter in this pretzel batch.  Hmmmm...what was I thinking?!?!  Peanut butter would have been a nice addition, not necessary, but definitely an added bonus.  Who doesn't love peanut butter and pretzels?!  I love this blondie base.  It is such an easy recipe and you can change it up however you like: different candy, chocolate chips, whatever makes you happy that day.
Blondies with Pretzel M&Ms and Pretzel pieces
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 and 1/2 cup pretzel M&Ms
1 heaping cup pretzel pieces, measured, then crushed
Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Remove from heat and add brown sugar.  Set aside to cool.
Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  
Stir eggs and vanilla into the butter mixture.   Slowly fold in dry ingredients. Stir until just combined, careful not to overmix.  Fold in M&Ms and pretzel pieces.  Spread evenly in prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Allow to cool before cutting into bars.
This is sure to satisfy all of those salty and sweet cravings.  Add in that peanut butter and you can't lose!
-->