Monday, September 16, 2013

Chocolate chip cookies in a Whoopie Pie Pan

This isn't your average cookie.  I made it in my Wilton Whoopie Pie Pan.  You fill each little cup up with dough and end up with thick, puffy, tasty cookies.  These cookies are so tasty I'm not even sure I'll ever use the pan to make Whoopie Pies.  I bought the pan at TJ Maxx for about $7.  Totally worth it!
About 2 months ago we moved into our new house.  We've moved into a new development so we seem to always be getting new neighbors. To help welcome them to the neighborhood, I shared these cookies with them.  I like to suck up to people with treats....just FYI.
This recipe has caramel sauce added for flavor.  Each cookie is loaded with chocolate chips and then topped with a sprinkle of sea salt.  I would love to make these again and serve them with a big scoop of ice cream.  These cookies received a thumbs up from my toughest critic: Darling Husband.  Definitely a recipe to make again!
Chocolate Chip Cookies in a Whoopie Pie Pan
2 sticks softened butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons vanilla
1/4 cup caramel sauce
3 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 ounce bag chocolate chips (12 ounce size)
extra sea salt for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350.  In a large bowl whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda, set aside.
With a stand mixer, or hand-held, beat the butter and sugars until well combined, about 3 minutes.  Add in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and caramel sauce.  Slowly add in dry ingredients.  Fold in chocolate chips last.
Place about 1/4 cup dough into each whoopie pie cavity (ungreased) and press down.  Sprinkle with a pinch or two of sea salt.  I pressed a few extra chocolate chips into the tops before baking.  Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.  Allow to cool for minutes before removing to cooling rack.



If you are looking for a cookie for the chocolate chip lover in your life, this is it!  It's dense and full of flavor.  I love the extra sprinkle of salt on top, don't skip that step.  Fall is coming and these cookies are sure to top your list of comfort foods.
-->