Monday, September 23, 2013

Apple and Carrot Muffins

As you may have noticed, we love muffins around this place.  They make a super easy breakfast, or a great on-the-go snack.  I really love a decadent muffin with a crumble topping, but I try to make muffins that are easy to share with little Peyton.  For this recipe I turned to one of my favorite websites, Weelicious.  This site is full of recipes perfect for busy families.  Check out the school lunches she packs up!  There are recipes for babies, toddlers, and the whole family.  They are typically pretty healthy, and in my experience, all very tasty.
The original recipe calls for coconut, I left it out, but I bet coconut lovers would love it.  I also added cinnamon, which just seemed natural in a muffin with carrots. The carrots and apple add such a nice sweetness.  The only sugar in the recipe is honey.  I think the muffins are plenty sweet, so I might even cut the honey down next time.  P loved these muffins!  I didn't even have enough left to freeze.  Super easy way to get some extra fruit and veggies in.  These will definitely be a permanent addition to my baking rotation!
Apple and Carrot Muffins
from Weelicious 
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 carrots, peeled and grated, about 1 cup
2 small apples, peeled and grated, about 1 cup ( I used Gala)
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla 
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
Preheat oven to 350, prepare muffin pan with paper liners
Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, carrots, and apples.  In a separate bowl combine eggs, vanilla, milk, oil, and honey.  Pour into dry ingredients and stir till combined.  Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until muffins are light brown and bounce back to the touch.
Easy and delicious made these a perfect muffin in my book.  Perfect treat to bring in the fall! Make them for a playdate, lunches, or anytime you need a perfect snack!




-->