Sunday, October 13, 2013

Candy Corn Cupcakes

Candy corn is one of those things.  I really only eat it once a year.  Thing is...I eat enough for the whole year.  I just love it!  I like it eat it in sections, white first, then orange, then yellow.  Oh, and you've mixed it with peanuts right?  Instant PayDay candy bar.  Try it now.
This is a super easy cupcake you can make for your upcoming Halloween party.  Don't worry they don't taste like candy corn....that may be a bit much.  You use a box cake mix and just add food coloring. I used my favorite buttercream, but you can definitely use store bought frosting.  Throw a few candy corn on top and you are set! I was bummed that mine didn't look exactly like candy corn. All of the cupcakes I saw on the Interwebs were perfect!   So here's a less than perfect version to make us all feel better.
Candy Corn Cupcakes
one standard vanilla cake mix
food coloring for yellow and orange (I used Wilton food gel)
vanilla frosting
candy corn for garnish
Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare muffin tin with paper liners, white works best.  Follow instructions for preparing your cupcakes as listed on the box. Divide batter equally among two bowls. Add yellow food coloring to one bowl and orange to the other.  Using a large spoon divide yellow batter evenly among muffin cups.  Tap pan on countertop a few times to even out the batter.  Repeat with orange batter.  Bake according to cake mix instructions. Once cool, frost as desired and garnish with a candy corn.
I was hoping for more definition in my layers, but they sort of blended.  Still a fun look and I think people still get the idea.  I'm willing to keep trying till I get it just right.  This is the perfect treat to whip up last minute.  Honestly took no time to prepare and they look so festive!  Who knew one little candy could make me so happy?




-->