Sunday, October 6, 2013

Chocolate Zucchini Mini Loaves

This bread is not an attempt to get you to secretly eat your vegetables.  It's loaded with chocolate and chocolate chips. The zucchini absolutely does not affect the chocolatey flavor, but it does enhance the texture.  These mini loaves with very moist and the bread was tender.  Close your eyes and you will have no idea you are eating chocolate bread with green bits.

Zucchini was the secret ingredient for this month's Bakin' Friends.  I really wasn't sure what I was going to do with it.  My first thought was bread, but I didn't want to do basic zucchini bread.  Then I saw all these crazy people pairing chocolate with zucchini and I decided to join the ranks.  I figured a million people on the Internet couldn't be wrong.
These people weren't wrong.  Chocolate and zucchini can really make a tasty loaf of bread.   For fun I ended up making 4 mini loaves of bread...who can resist something mini sized?!  I know a lot of people get tons of zucchini from friends in the summer and if you're looking for a new recipe to try, I think this is a winner.
Chocolate Zucchini Mini Loaves
1 and 1/2 cup sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla
4 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips (I used milk)
Preheat oven to 350. Spray loaf pans with cooking spray.
In large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
In a smaller bowl whisk together eggs, oil and vanilla.  Add to dry ingredients and stir till just combined, dough will be stiff.
Fold in zucchini and chocolate chips.
Transfer batter to prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
These mini loaves are perfect for sharing.  I definitely recommend trying a zucchini and chocolate recipe at least once...and then get right back to the pure chocolate.
-->