Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Snickerdoodle Blondies

These blondies did more than just make my stomach happy. They clued me in to a little known (to me) fact about Darling Husband.  The Snickerdoodle is his second favorite cookie!  I have know this man almost six years and have never heard him even mention snickerdoodles!  This was life-changing.  I make a lot of cookies, and this is only the second time I have made something along the lines of a snickerdoodle.  One would think if your spouse liked them so much, you would know and make them regularly.  His favorite cookie is chocolate chip and you can't really argue with that.  I'd say it's safe to guess most people really like chocolate chip.  Snickerdoodle in second place? That was a shocker! However, these bars might have also boosted my love for snickerdoodles.  They were dangerously easy to make and my whole house smelled amazing.  They have that blondie texture: soft with a little bite.  Cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top gives a nice little crust.  I think I would even be more tempted to bake these before regular snickerdoodles.  Perhaps I haven't given enough credit to this tasty cookie.  It's not my second favorite (chocolate chip) but I'll have to add them to the rotation.
Snickerdoodle Blondies
2 and 2/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350.  Coat 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside.
On medium speed, with your hand or stand mixer, beat together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Add the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla.  Scrape the bowl as needed, beating until fully combined.  Gradually add the flour mixture, until just combined, careful not to overmix.
Spread the dough evenly into prepared pan, batter will be thick.  I used a spatula to spread evenly.  Combine the 2 Tablespoons sugar with the 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of batter.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
I love these bars for fall.  Snuggle up with these and a nice warm drink and you can't go wrong.  You also just might learn something about the cookie preference of someone you love!
-->