Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Heart-shaped chocolate chip cookie cake

Dear Little One,
Some days, okay most days, we have our struggles.  We also have the best of moments, that's for sure. My days are better because of you.  My days are also full of a lot of work because of you.  But with this work comes a lot of smiles.
Like your smile when you saw this cookie cake.  You stood next to me, asking to be picked up.  Asking to look at this cookie cake.  Asking, without asking, for a bite.  You laid your head on my shoulder (as you always do when you want something you are pretty sure you can not have).  You pointed and smiled.  I replied with a no.  You again pointed at the cookie and your mouth.  I did my best to divert your attention, but we both really wanted some of that cookie.  
You want to play with all my glass dishes.  I want you to play quietly in your toy room.   You want me to carry you around the house.  I want to be carried to the couch for a nap.  You want a graham cracker...wait, you don't want a graham cracker???
You want your drink out of the BLUE sippy cup.  I'll take a glass of wine..in any cup.
You want cookie cake.  I want cookie cake.  
Heart-shaped chocolate chip cookie cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups M&Ms or chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare pan with cooking spray, (I also lined with parchment paper). In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
Using your hand or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together for 3-4 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined. With mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients.  Fold in M&Ms, dough will be thick.  Spread evenly in the bottom of your pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown.  Allow to cool completely in pan before removing.  
(I used this Wilton icing tube in red for decorating)
At the end of the day, we both had some cookie cake. We both earned it. Baby girl I envision many more bites of cookie cake.  I envision many more days of battles.  I envision many, many more days of smiles. We share this virtual cookie cake with all of you, for those days when you just need it.



-->