Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Oatmeal Scotchies

I've been a little absent from the blogging world lately.  I have a lot of things on my mind.  I tell Darling Husband nightly how my wheels are turning.  I've got a couple big parties coming up (one involving my favorite almost-2-year old) and I'm dreaming of lots of things I'd like to do around the house.  All of this amounts to me spending way too much time on Pinterest! Another thing that was on my mind? These cookies.  I had a serious craving.
Oatmeal Scotchies are not a cookie I usually crave.  
No peanut butter?!?! No chocolate??!?! No thank you. For some reason I just had them on the brain.  I really just had to make them. Only thing was I had no butterscotch chips!  I had to go to two stores to find them.  To avoid this problem in the future, I bought two bags.  Crisis, and cravings, averted.
Oatmeal Scotchies
adapted from Averie Cooks
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 and 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butterscotch chips
In a medium bowl whisk together oats, flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
Using your hand or stand mixer, beat together butter, egg, sugars, and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
With your mixer on low speed, add in dry ingredients until just combined.  Fold in butterscotch chips.
For optimal results, this dough needs to chill prior to baking.  Form mounds of dough, about 2 Tablespoons each, and place on large plate.  Flatten dough slightly, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, up to 5 days.  I baked mine after about 5 hours.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.  Bake chilled dough for 8 to 10 minutes.  Edges will be set, but the centers may appear underbaked.  I felt that 9 minutes was perfect for my oven.   You definitely do not want to overbake, cookies will continue to firm up while cooling.  Allow to cool for at least 5 minutes on cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack.
The moral of this story is that life can get hectic.  In my opinion the only real way to deal with it all is to drop everything you are doing and bake, and eat, some cookies.


-->