Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Red, White, and Blue popsicles

Summer has hit Seattle...in a big way.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy nice sunny days. However, I really wish I had a pool and air conditioning, and a cocktail.  However, I only have a kiddie pool and these popsicles.  Alright....I had a cocktail.
These popsicles are simple layers of fruit and Greek yogurt.  I shared them with our neighborhood friends in an effort to keep the kids cool and occupied. You can make them just in time for your July 4th weekend.  I picked up some popsicle molds at Target, but you can easily use Dixie cups and wooden popsicle sticks.  Pureed strawberries, blueberries, and vanilla Greek yogurt will give you that patriotic look.
The fun thing about these popsicles is that they are so forgiving.  You can just layer in the flavors and they're bound to turn out great.  I'll give you the basic guidelines for how I made these, but you can really do whatever you like!
Red, white, and blue popsicles
2 cups strawberries
2 cups blueberries
1 and 1/2 cups Greek vanilla yogurt
Puree strawberries and layer in molds.  Allow to freeze for about 30 minutes.  Spoon yogurt on top of strawberry layer (about two tablespoons), insert popsicle stick and allow to freeze. Finally puree blueberries and fill popsicle molds.  Freeze until set, 24 hours is best. 
Nothing beats a cool popsicle on a hot day. I can't wait to try different flavor combinations.  Toddler approved!
On a completely separate note, I have to update you all on some blog stuff.  I inadvertently failed to renew my domain name.  In the midst of trying to alleviate this problem, someone snatched it up!  Who knew yumsandloves was so desirable?!?  It's been a very frustrating process for me.  I have put a lot of time and effort into this blog and it seems like someone is trying to take advantage of that.  For now I have moved my blog back to yumsandloves.blogspot.com. Please use this if you are trying to access old recipes and posts.  Looks as though all of you who are email subscribers should still be good to go. If you haven't signed up for emails, do it! Then you'll never miss out. Thanks for sticking around, and don't be a procrastinator like me!!  Okay...back to popsicles!






-->