Friday, April 29, 2011

Homemade Pizza Rolls

Pizza Rolls.

Takes me back.

Back in the day,  I would eat microwaved pizza rolls, while watching 21 Jump Street. 

 I was pretty sure I was going to marry Johnny Depp.

Could have happened....

I may not have Johnny Depp, but I have a way to eat pizza rolls.  I got this recipe from Katie, over at Dashing Dish.  Check out her site, adorable girl, with some great recipes.


These pizza rolls are easy to make, require few ingredients, and are a healthy alternative to the microwave snack.

The filling for these pizza rolls can be totally customized.  Use whatever you like for your pizza toppings. 

 I kept it basic and made pepperoni.
  
The fun part is the "crust" is made from won ton wrappers! I have found wonton wrappers at both QFC and Safeway, in the produce section.


Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a bowl, combine your ingredients:

1/2 cup pizza sauce.  I really like Boboli pizza sauce.  It comes in prepackaged portions in a box of three.

Add at 
 least one cup of cheese, please feel free to use more...I did.

Cut the pepperoni in quarters.  Sprinkle a little Italian seasoning and give it all a stir.

 
Now you're ready to get to filling!

Fill a little bowl with some water, you will use this to seal the wonton wrappers.  Put about a tablespoon of filling in the middle of each wrapper.



Dip your fingertips in the water bowl and rub along two edges of the wrapper.  Fold over the edges to seal up in a diamond shape.  Continue with the rest of the filling mix.

Place pizza rolls on prepared baking sheet.  Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray.  
I then added a little sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese. My batch made about 14, but my wrappers were pretty stuffed.
Bake for 10-15 minutes.

While baking,  practice writing your married name: Mrs. Johnny Depp.

  I baked mine for 12 minutes and I think they were a little crisp.  I'll go with 10 minutes next time.

 Serve these with a salad and you have a great meal!
I was really happy with the way these turned out.  They had great pizza flavor.  Darling hubby's review, "these would make a great Superbowl treat."    That means this was a success!  
Give these little treats a shot, they'd be great for kids and adults alike.  I can't wait to make them again...I think the girls in my book club would love them.

1 comment: