Sunday, November 6, 2011

Recipe Swap: Apple cupcakes with maple cream cheese icing

Another recipe swap already! Time is seriously flying! This is an extra special recipe swap, as it is the swap's first birthday!  I've only recently joined the group, but I'm more than happy to help celebrate.   This month we were assigned a dessert, so I was thrilled.
The recipe was for a maple cake.  I thought I would incorporate the maple into the frosting.  I decided to do an apple cake with a maple cream cheese icing.   Originally I set out to make a layer cake, but to me you can't really have a celebration without cupcakes.
An apple cake sounded like a great fall treat.  Since Halloween was only a few days ago, I feel like I've been eating plenty of chocolate.  Plus, this isn't a dessert I would usually make, so there's the challenge!


When we were originally given our assignment for this month, Christianna asked us to reflect on our personal year as part of the celebration of a year of recipe swaps.  For me, this has been a fun and busy year.  Obviously, one of the biggest things for me was my wedding in Cabo earlier this year.
Since then, we have settled into married life and it suits us quite well!
I have found a great creative outlet in starting my blog.  More than that, I have found a network of fellow bloggers, and readers, who give me tons of inspiration.  The sense of community is amazing and I'm so thankful for the people I have "met" along the way.   Everyday I read something someone has posted and I want to hang out with them, make their recipe, check out their home town, and have them cook me their delicious food.  I love seeing what other talented people are coming up with.
However, what I am most excited about for this year, and many years to come, is that Darling Husband and I are expecting our first baby next May!  We're excited to see where this next journey takes us.  I know together we'll be the best parents we can be.
Apple Cupcakes with Maple Cream cheese icing
Makes 24 cupcakes 
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups chopped apples (I used Gala)
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups applesauce
4 large eggs


Preheat oven to 350.  Prepare your muffin tin with paper liners.
In a large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.  Stir in apples and toss to coat.
In a separate bowl whisk together sugar and applesauce.  Add eggs and blend completely.  Add flour mixture and stir until combined.
Use an ice cream scoop to fill your cupcake papers.  Bake for 15 minutes.
I used applesauce in these cakes instead of oil.  I think it enhanced the apple flavor and these little cakes were quite moist. Plus that makes them healthy right?!


Maple Cream Cheese icing
1 8 ounce package softened cream cheese
1/2 cup softened butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
Using your electric mixer combine butter and cream cheese until fluffy.  Add in powdered sugar and mix until combined. Beat in maple syrup.
You could easily skip the icing and serve these as breakfast muffins, but that's crazy talk. The frosting is smooth and tasty with just the faintest hint of maple syrup.
Perfect little treat to celebrate one year of swapping.  Please check out my fellow-swappers, you won't be disappointed.







3 comments:

  1. Alex! So many things to celebrate! Your beautiful marriage (thank you for including the photo). A new baby; there is nothing better. This wonderful recipe; and I'm completely with you on the overload of sugar. This really speaks to the first recipe but with your signature. I'm so glad to have found you through this group. You are a shining star! Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the group Alex - and a great contribution to this month's swap. Such a beautiful photo of you and your husband - I am hoping that Phillip proposes soon and I can include my wedding journey in my blog.

    Shari
    www.goodfoodweek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post and lovely pictures. Congratulations! I just had my third baby in June and can tell you that being a mummy is the best thing ever!

    ReplyDelete