Sunday, February 5, 2012

Recipe Swap, Pea and Leek Risotto

This is already my seventh time participating in the Burwell General Store Recipe Swap!! I've had so much fun posting recipes with this group every month.  Even though we all start with the same recipe, we have very different interpretations!
As soon as I saw the recipe for this month, I knew I was going to make risotto.  I really like risotto and it is quite easy to make!  The most difficult part about risotto???  All the stirring!  You have to incorporate the broth in batches and stir till it is absorbed.  I consider this a good time to practice stirring with my non-dominant, left hand.  
Risotto can be a meal all by itself, or served as a side dish.  
We ate ours with some seared scallops.
Pea and Leek Risotto
6 cups chicken stock (use vegetable stock if making vegetarian)
2 Tbsp butter
1 Leek, using white part only, cut horizontally into disks, then cut those into half moon shape
1 cup Arborio rice
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Keep broth heated in a medium size saucepan.
In a separate saucepan melt butter. When butter starts to foam, add leek and saute until softened. Add rice until coated with butter.  Add wine and stir till absorbed, about 1 minute.  Add 1 cup hot stock, stirring constantly, until broth is absorbed. Continue adding stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly allowing each addition to be fully absorbed before adding the next.  This should take about 15 minutes.  You may find you don't need all the stock.  Add the frozen peas with your final addition of stock.  Remove from heat and add cheese. Serve immediately.
Dinner is served! Please visit my fellow-swappers to see what they came up with for this month's swap!

-->