Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Guest Post: Carrot cake

I've got a fun guest post for you today!  This is not the first time Kristen has written a guest post for me!  Both recipes are two of my favorite treats: pumpkin pie and now carrot cake. I am always on the look-out for a great carrot cake recipe.  I love that Kristen is always going for a healthy spin on desserts, but she also indulges in treats!  This recipe looks like a cake I need to try. It's so special that this recipe is one that Kristen got from her mom.  Like she mentions, I hope to someday share some favorite recipes with my daughter.  It's such a feeling of comfort remembering a special treat your mom made for you. Please do check out Kristen's blog, she has so many great, thoughtful posts and recipes!

Hello Yums and Loves readers! My name is Kristen and you can usually find me blogging over at Mind your Bees and Trees.  I’m delighted to be back here guest posting on Alex’s blog. She emailed a bunch of us a while ago asking for people to guest post for her after the baby is born. I’m currently taking a little break from my blog right now (we just made a huge international move and I needed some time to myself), but I couldn’t say no to Alex!

Alex is the very first blogging friend I made almost a year ago and we’ve had fun emailing back and forth ever since. I am so thrilled for Alex and Greg and wish them all the very best.

I debated which recipe I would share with all of you and finally settled on my carrot cake recipe. The recipe comes from my mom and it is seriously the world’s best carrot cake! I thought it would be fun to honor my mom by featuring one of her recipes just as Alex welcomes her baby girl into this world. Since Alex’s recipes always make my mouth water, I know her daughter will have lots of amazing recipes to share with her friends one day.

I also thought it would be fun to share this recipe with you today because it is made without any processed sugars. Mind Your Bees and Trees started last summer when my friend and I decided not to eat any processed sugar all summer (just honey, maple syrup, agave, etc.). I had a lot fun during that time tweaking recipes to recreate some of my favorite foods without any processed sugars.

I was having a big craving for carrot cake at the time and knew my mom’s recipe was by far the best carrot cake I’d ever had. Well, you can imagine my delight when I looked up the recipe and saw it called for either sugar and honey or all honey. Score! (I ended up using honey and maple syrup because I ran out of honey, but oh man was it to die for!)

Like any great carrot cake, this cake also has a cream cheese frosting (which is also only made with honey). My mouth is watering just thinking about it right now!

I made this cake for a friend’s birthday party and it was a huge hit! So huge in fact that I didn’t get any pictures until the cake was almost gone…oops! I guess that’s a good sign though, right?


I would highly recommend you make this cake for your next get together—or even just for a regular old Tuesday night because it’s so good that you don’t need an excuse to make it.

You can find the recipe on my blog.
If you enjoyed this post, please be sure to subscribe to my blog or like MYBT on Facebook so you don’t miss any updates!

Thanks again for including me in your guest post series, Alex. I’m honored to be included and am sooooo happy for your family!! Enjoy every minute of it. We’ll all be here for you if and when you’re ready to come back.

Thanks Kristen!  This cake looks perfectly moist and tasty...exactly what I"m looking for in a carrot cake.  Plus I can not resist cream cheese frosting!  I'm so glad Kristen is back in the US and I hope we can meet up some time soon! I hope you all check out the recipe and make this cake...for me!
-->