Friday, June 22, 2012

One month of motherhood

I realize that one month of being a mom does not make me an expert, but you sure can learn a lot in a short amount of time.  Our little girl has been with us for one month, but it sort of feels like she's always been here. We've been having lots of fun, but also working hard...working very hard.
So here's a snapshot of things I've learned:

  • You can actually do a lot on very little sleep. Sure I'm tired with dark bags under my eyes, but the baby is happy!
  • People are full of advice.  You can decide to take it or leave it, but trust me, they will tell you.
  • It's okay to make a mistake, the baby will have no idea, and love you just the same.
  • Your DVR and daytime TV will become a savior.
  • Don't buy anything you see on a late-night infomercial.
  • Being a parent is tough, I don't know how working moms do it.
  • Buying baby clothes is five times as fun as buying clothes for yourself.
  • A whole day can pass by and you can accomplish very little around the house, but the baby is happy!
  • With all the pacing, and rocking, and dancing, that baby weight should totally fly off!
  • You can actually get a lot done with only one hand.  Your other hand is for baby holding
  • I may never again go to the bathroom by myself.
  • If you own a restaurant/bar (I'm not talking anything sleazy) you should have certain hours of the day when parents can bring their infants.  Parents need cocktails and food.
  • Time goes by really quickly.  Enjoy it.
  • But the number one thing I have learned: Darling Husband and I are extremely blessed that we have our sweet little girl.  Luckily, becoming pregnant wasn't a struggle for us, but I know it is for many.
Now, a little advice for those of you who are pregnant or contemplating starting a family.
  • Lay around on the couch.  All. Day. Long.
  • Go to those restaurants/bars I mentioned.
  • Enjoy the use of both of your hands.
  • Probably don't mention to new parents how "tired you are."
  • Run to the grocery store for one tiny thing you need.  Not as simple with a baby, car seat, stroller, diaper bag.
  • Sleep. No, really, sleep.
  • Be completely spontaneous.
  • Enjoy your husband/wife/partner/baby mama or daddy. 


-->