Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Broccoli Cauliflower Cheddar Soup

Brrrrr, it's getting chilly out!  Perfect soup weather.  Soup is one of my favorite things to eat.  Especially with some bread on the side.  This soup is chock full of veggies (and cheese) and nice and hearty.  You can make it in no time.  This recipe makes a lot of soup, so invite some friends over!
I think cauliflower is such an underrated vegetable. If I see it on a raw veggie tray, it's always my last choice.  However, I love it cooked.  There are so many fun and flavorful ways to prepare it and it is fantastic in soups.  I think I better introduce it to baby P soon. I'm hoping someday cauliflower gets the credit it deserves!
Broccoli Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
4 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 head cauliflower, chopped into bite-size florets
2 medium heads broccoli, chopped into bite-size florets
4 cups milk
4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable)
2 cups cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
In a large pot, or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onions and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Sprinkle flour over onions and garlic and stir until it turns light brown, about 1-2 minutes.  Slowly whisk in milk.  Add stock, broccoli, and cauliflower and season generously with salt and pepper.  Cover and reduce heat to low, simmering until veggies are tender, 30-40 minutes.  At this point, I used a potato masher to blend up the cauliflower and broccoli.  I like a little chunky texture.  You could also use an immersion blender, or transfer to a blender and puree in batches.  Finally stir in cheese and combine.  Garnish with more cheese! Darling Husband and I both thought this would be extra tasty with a little bacon sprinkled on top...but isn't everything?  Hope you're all staying warm and survived the start of the holiday madness!


-->