Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chocolate Peppermint Cookies with Candy Cane Kisses

This is my second year participating in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap.  Basically you sign up, bake and send out a dozen cookies to each of your assigned bloggers, and you in turn get a dozen cookies from three different bloggers.  Can you see why I participated again this year? Something new this year too, we teamed up with Cookies for Kids' Cancer, a non-profit committed to finding new therapies for pediatric cancer, and each blogger made a small donation.  OXO matched our donations!  So happy to help through baking and sharing.
I wanted to make something in the spirit of the holiday season. I love Candy Cane Kisses, so why not toss those in a cookie??  These cookies have a rich chocolate base with a little peppermint kick.  The Candy Cane Kisses add a nice pop of red and white. These would be perfect to bring to your holiday cookie exchange.
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies with Candy Cane Kisses
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tsp peppermint extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
1 bag Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses, chopped (I chopped in my food processor)
Preheat oven to 350, line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add extracts.  Add dry ingredients and stir till combined.  Fold in chocolate chips and peppermint kisses. Use a cookie scoop or large teaspoon to drop dough onto prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (9 was perfect for me).  Cookies will be soft, but do not overbake.  Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
I had a great time participating in the swap again this year!  I was spoiled with yummy treats from CarrieDana, and Kristina thanks so much ladies!  I hope there is another swap next year, but I might need to request we swap sweat pants....these cookies are not fat-free!



-->