Monday, December 17, 2012

Hot Cocoa Cookies

Have you eaten enough cookies and enjoyed enough cocoa this holiday season?  Let's combine the two and save ourselves some time. I even threw in the marshmallows for you.  The chocolate flavor comes solely from instant hot cocoa packets. I had randomly come upon Mini Marshmallow Bits at Target. They are tiny little marshmallows. Even smaller than mini marshmallows.  I hope you can find them at your local store.  If not, mini marshmallows will be perfect.
These cookies passed my first test: yummy cookie dough.  Second test: Darling Husband said he thought they were one of the best cookies I have ever made.  That is a high compliment from a tough critic.  I love the chocolate flavor, boosted by chocolate chips.  The mini marshmallow bits add that extra touch of sweetness and make it feel like a real cup of cocoa.  You do put marshmallows in your cocoa right?  Or at least whip cream?? It's a must!
Hot Cocoa Cookies
adapted from Baked Bree
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 1/4 cups flour
4 packages instant hot cocoa mix (not sugar free)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mini marshmallow bits (or mini marshmallows)
1 cup milk chocolate chips  
Line your cookie sheets with parchment, or use your Silpat.
Whisk together flour, hot cocoa mix, salt, and baking soda.  Set aside.
Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Mix in eggs and vanilla.  Once combined, add your dry ingredients, scraping the bowl as necessary. Fold in chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.  Cover and chill dough for 30 minutes, I actually let my dough chill overnight, but I think 30 minutes is more than enough.
When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350.  Drop dough onto lined baking sheets.  I used my small cookie scoop.  Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Cookies will be soft, but do not overbake.  Allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes and enjoy!
Make these cookies soon! You will love them.  It makes lots of cookies, so go ahead and share!

For the most part, I only like to write about frosting, cookies, and babies.  But I must share that I am writing this with a heavy heart after the recent tragedy in Connecticut. I can not even begin to imagine the sense of loss that is spreading through that community. As a human being, I share your sadness. As a mother, I have cried many tears for you.  I hold my daughter and look at her and know that those parents have done the exact same thing. This reminds me how blessed I am. I am living in the moment, because we truly do not know what each day will bring us.  I hope you are all savoring this holiday season, enjoying good food, and spending time with those that you love.



1 comment: